The tenement house was built around 1560 at the request of Gdańsk patrician Hans Conert. It was the first Gdańsk tenement house, modern in its form. It is believed that her design was created earlier than the Ferber’s Tenement House at 28 Długa Street. A pioneering work, but with mature and outstanding form and artistic setting. Its creator, architect and sculptor is unknown. Certainly his name appears on the pages of city chronicles, but at present we are unable to correctly connect him with this bold and effective implementation. The time and circumstances when the Conert family ended their possession of the house remain unknown. We know that already in 1608 the owner of the plot is a certain Hans Hoefelke. But as early as 1616, Engelbrecht Konig, a merchant from Schopingen in Westphalia, became the owner of the house at 45 Długa Street, who settled permanently in Gdańsk and obtained city citizenship. And it is with this owner, and more precisely with his name, that there is a certain misunderstanding that has crept in, among others to guide literature.
His contemporaries defined his house names not by numbers, but often on the basis of the names of the owners who lived in it. And they certainly said „at the King’s house”, „near the king’s house” – because that was the name of the owner. Later, when the memory of the former owner was lost, the term „King’s house” remained. And then that Gdańsk belonged to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth – it becomes clear that he was certainly the king of Poland. And since many kings came to Gdańsk it was only a step to describe „House of Polish Kings”. However, historically no king lived here or stayed during his stay in Gdansk. The erroneous information makes us aware, however, that a tenement house is worth receiving such a personality. Later, for over two centuries, the house owners were the well-known Gdańsk Schumann family. After the mid-seventeenth century, the house became the property of the eldest son in the family.
In 1858 its owner was unknown name Miss Schumann. Due to the relatively long ownership of this family, the tenement house was often called the Schumann House. This is one of the more famous Gdańsk families. Three mayors, six councilors and four lay judges came from it. But also a well-known embroidery machine whose works can be seen in the National Museum. The chronicles inform us that in 1878 the owner of the tenement was the Bum merchant or in another Baum transcription. From 1896, the owners of the tenement were the heirs of Daniel Alert. In 1912 the tenement house was rebuilt quite heavily and was intended for a cafe. The signs from this period clearly display advertising signs. From 1917, the owner was the Berlin company „Disconto Gesellschaft Danzig”. After the war and reconstruction, it became the seat of PTK and later PTTK.
A characteristic combination of a plane of red plaster and bright accents of sculptural details contribute to the setting of one of the most beautiful European squares – the Gdańsk Long Market. The noble and harmonious decor of this earliest Renaissance building on the Royal Route is a great setting for a subtle rest and its immediate vicinity guarantees unforgettable impressions and great fun throughout the stay.